Our brain is an organ of soft nervous tissue, which along with the spinal cord and peripheral nerves comprises the body’s central nervous system.
The brain is located in the skull which protects it from injury.
The brain consists of many specialised parts that work together to control our movements, personalities, thoughts and memory.
The cerebrum: The largest part of our brain, made up of grey matter and white matter. The tightly folded grey matter gives the brain its wrinkly look.
The cerebrum plays a role in our memory, senses, speech, personality, movement, vision, consciousness.
The cerebrum is divided into sections called lobes: Frontal lobes, Parietal lobes, Temporal lobes and the Occipital lobes.
The Cerebellum: The second largest part of the brain helps control our balance, posture, language.
The brain stem: Controls reflexes and crucial life functions.
The diencephalon: Divided into sections; thalamus which relays information to and from the cerebral hemispheres, and the hypothalamus which controls sensory function and the secretion of some hormones.
A baby shower is a great way for family and friends to celebrate the impending arrival or recent birth of a baby.
It is a good time to offer parenting advice and shower the Mum-to-be with gifts.
Here are some tips on how to plan the perfect baby shower:
- Pick a date and time for the baby shower
- Prepare a guest list of the people you are inviting to the shower
- Choose a theme for the baby shower. You can go for a unisex theme if you don’t know the sex of the baby
- Choose a venue for the baby shower
- Send out invitations
- Decide on the foods and drinks based on your budget
- Order a baby shower cake
- Buy baby shower party decorations, plates, cups, cutlery, napkins, tablecloths to complement your theme
- Buy disposable plates, cups and cutlery so you won’t have to do any washing up after the party
- Buy or make your own fun baby shower games to entertain the guests, remember to buy prizes for the games
- Prepare favor bags or boxes to give to guests, a lovely way to thank them for attending the shower
- Purchase a guest book in which guests can write their advice and special messages for the parents-to-be
- Delegate one of the guests to record the gifts
- Remember to take photos of the special occasion